Saturday, May 2, 2009

Why I am on the SCD diet

First you might ask "What is the SCD diet?" So first I will answer that. SCD is Specific Carbohydrate Diet, and the basic idea is that the only food you eat is easy to digest, so it doesn't feed bad microbes in your gut that cause brain problems. This means no grains, no sugar, and no starches (potatoes, tapioca, arrowroot . . .). Also the only dairy allowed is lactose-free. It has recently been approved as a treatment for autism and there is evidence that it can help schizophrenia. So what is there to lose?
I have been on this diet before for 'autistic' symptoms because I just felt awful. But after only a few months, I had a major psychotic break, was hospitalized and diagnosed with catatonic schizophrenia, and taken off the diet. I was soon back on the GFCF diet because I felt drunk when I ate gluten. But going back on the SCD diet was not the plan - until a friend of my mother's went on it. Mom flipped through the book, and before I said good night, I mentioned:
"You know, when I was on that diet, my brain and my tummy felt way better."
So now I am back on the SCD diet and all I am eating is meat, eggs, carrots, bananas, honey and Welch's grape juice. Do I feel deprived. No. Apart from occasional sweet cravings, I feel sorry for everyone else when I see the junk they are putting into their bodies. Not all of them are, so I am not trying to be judgemental. I just want to feel my best. And this is how I do it. It may not be the same for everyone, but this is what works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment