Friday, October 2, 2009

Coconut flour pizza crust

I got this pizza recipe from Grain-Free Foodies, then tweaked it a little based on what I had on hand. It turned out a little fall-aparty, but was still good. Here is the recipe I used. Go to Grain-Free Foodies for the original.
2 eggs
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup kefir
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 clove garlic, crushed
I would have used the teaspoon of salt but left it out because I couldn't find it. Anyway:
Beat the eggs, then beat in other ingredients. Spread out the dough thinly on a pizza pan. Pre-bake for about 20 minutes (it may take more or less time, but you want a stiff crust). Top with sauce, cheese (or not) and your favorite toppings (I used mushrooms). Bake until the cheese is melted or until the veggies are crisp, or until the crust is completely done. Take out of the oven. Eat. This crust is, in my opinion, more like a thin-crust grain pizza than the almond flour one, despite being not quite as tasty. But almonds don't seem to do so well for me, so this one works great.
Note: The original recipe called for coconut milk. I didn't have any on hand so used kefir. I don't know how it would taste with coconut milk, but kefir makes for a sour crust. But that's what you use if you want to avoid dairy completely. Of course if you are not doing GAPS but would like to try this you could use fresh milk.
This blog post is part of Fight Back Fridays, hosted by Food Renegade

No comments:

Post a Comment